Monday, June 27, 2011

NaCl

I can be honest with you, right?
I love getting dressed up and going out to fancy restaurants.

WHEW. I'm glad I got that off my chest.

This place has gotten a lot of hype. And it's literally down the street from my house. And I've wanted to go for months. So, dressed to the nines, I ventured 3 blocks to Salt of the Earth with KB and Kenny. 

I honestly don't think of myself as someone who is very creative with food. I know what I like and I tend to stick to it. I'm usually hesitant to try new things. And though I am willing to spend a lot of money on a good meal, you never really know what you're in for when you visit a place for the first time. Which is why I wanted to go somewhere that came so highly recommended from my discerning friends.

I don't want to turn this into a restaurant review because 1) I'm not good at it 2) just the thought bores me and 3) other people all ready have. But we were seated at the bar which is literally separated from the kitchen only by a countertop and I highly suggest you do the same if you ever go. The chefs are entertaining the food prep is fascinating and it smells DELICIOUS. The only down side being that I could barely converse with my excellent company, but we were all distracted by the view anyway.

Remember: sharing is caring, and one of the MANY reasons I love going out with these two is the unspoken assumption that at some point we will all be switching plates.

So here's how it went down:

For everyone: Seared Scallops with Bananas, Radishes, and Lobster Roe
Bananas and Scallops? Yes, Please.

For me: Copper River Salmon with Buckwheat, Cilantro, and Squid Ink
I'll eat just about anything if there is cilantro in/on it.

 For Kenny: Softshell Crab with Horseradish Potatoes
I thought I hated horseradish, but it just turns out I hate horseradish that sucks.
This did not suck.

For KB: Flank Steak with Chimichurri
Medium. Rare.


This is the kind of restaurant that makes me want to open a restaurant. 

I may have a new favorite place in Pittsburgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment