Friday, June 24, 2011

Lunch with Lou

Before I had Sunday Dinners, I had Becky and Lou.

Becky was the soprano at the First Presbyterian Church, my first real job here in Pittsburgh.  It wasn't an easy gig, but I stuck it out for almost 3 years, mostly because of Becky and how much I adore her. Her husband works for the same company I do (though he does something much more important than I). My first few years of living in this city were really very unsteady and unpleasant at times. I don't think I would have gotten through much of it without Becky and Lou.

When I was working as a bank teller and couldn't take any time off to go home for holidays, Becky and Lou invited me into their family. When I was desperate for a new job, Lou handed my resume around trying to get me in. When I wanted to learn to play golf, Becky signed up for lessons with me. When I wanted to learn to shoot a pistol, Lou took me to the gun range. Whenever I needed to complain about anything and everything (which I often did), they were both there for me. 

Now, I have a steadier footing, a new church to sing at, and a job at the building right across from Lou's. Sometimes, less often than I'd like, Lou and I get together for lunch so that he can "keep an eye on me", as he likes to say. He was nice enough to take me to a classy joint:

EXTREME CLOSE UP
Salmon Teriyaki Noodle Bowl at McCormick and Schmick's

I'm a huge fan of anything with bok choy in it, and I'm on a salmon kick, so this was right up my alley. There was also great bread and a peach Arnold Palmer. It was really nice to catch up with my surrogate father, and even nicer to do so over such yummy food.

I also spent Father's Day dinner with Becky and Lou (and K too), but was too busy stuffing my face with grilled steak and veggies, and getting a lesson in Shabbatai Tsvi, to take any pictures. (K says: "FALSE CHRIST FTW")

An old love once said to me, after a Thanksgiving dinner at Becky and Lou's house,
"You're very lucky to have them".
And I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment