Saturday, January 29, 2011

Introduction to Tupping

This was originally posted on January 17th

Up until a few months ago, I used to pack my freezer with Lean Cuisines. I'm not proud of it, but it's true. I started buying them because I would often waste food by making too much and not eating the leftovers. One of my favorite things to do in the winter is to make a huge pot of soup and eat it for lunch all week, but I usually tire of whatever it is by Wednesday and end up buying lunch anyway. Not a very effective plan.
Until Krystal, who is in her own words "so freaking influential", introduced me to tupping.
She would make a huge batch of a meal, divide it into tupperwares, and freeze them. All of a sudden, my lunch time possibilities became much more delicious.
So now, thankfully, my freezer is full of tups of meals that I have personally made, which I love. Every couple of weeks, the tup supply has be be replenished. So when both Krystal and I both had a Monday holiday off, we decided to make the most of it. Hence:

TUPPIN LUTHER KING, JR. DAY

The most notable (and most colorful) result of which was:
Avocado Buttermilk Soup with Crab Salad

Creamy, decadent, ridiculously quick and easy to prepare. The recipes suggests serving it cold, but we heated it to great success. So, you have options.



Avocado Buttermilk Soup with Crab Salad
from Cooking Light

Ingredients

  • 3/4  cup  fat-free buttermilk
  • 1/2  cup  chopped fresh tomatillos
  • 1/2  cup  fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 3/8  teaspoon  salt
  • 2  ripe peeled avocados, pitted
  • 1  serrano pepper, seeded
  • 1  small garlic clove
  • 2  tablespoons  minced red bell pepper
  • 1  tablespoon  chopped fresh chives
  • 1  teaspoon  fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2  teaspoon  grated orange rind
  • 8  ounces  lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed

Preparation

1. Place first 7 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.
2. Combine bell pepper and remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine. Spoon about 3/4 cup soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with about 1/3 cup crabmeat mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment