Thursday, October 27, 2011

Babes in the silly woods

I'm a nerd. Is that a surprise? It shouldn't be. 
I'm a nerd because every year, I make it a point to go to the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival held in the silly woods of back-country southwestern Pennsylvania. 
Why? What happens in the silly woods? Nothing? Everything? Nothing? 
Firstly, I go because I love that the Society for Creative Anachronism welcomes any/every type of weirdo that needs a place to call home. 
You like Pirates? We like Pirates! 
You weigh 400 lbs? Come wear a corset in public!
You like kilts? We won't mock you!
You want to wear a tail? We can't stop you from doing that!

Secondly, I am fascinated by glass blowing, and am convinced that if it weren't for my insurmountable clumsiness, I would be some sort of glass sculpturist. So I go to see the hilarious bearded man make tankards and fish vases out of molten glass, crack the same jokes repeated, and talk about the glory hole in a shack in the silly woods. 

Thirdly, and MOST importantly, I return to the Renaissance Festival year after year for one single, glorious culinary triumph:
The Giant Smoked Turkey Leg.
My partner in crime and I donned our corsets (Because why not?) and continued our carnal pursuit of gluttonous happiness, henna tattoos, matching rings, diving beers, dumplings and cobblers, and bondedness.

The weekend we went was Oktoberfest, and the last weekend of the festival. The sun was shining brightly, the food was great, and the company could not be beat. 
The only downside is that now I have to wait another whole year before I can make it with a turkey leg again.

No comments:

Post a Comment