Thursday, July 14, 2011

You and Me and the Soup'll make three. Or more.

Work has been sort of rough.
I'm on the cusp of completing my first major project, which involves a lot of me yelling at my boss "Help me to help you!"(playfully, mostly). I won't bore you with the details.
So I've been going in early, and staying late, and developing a flat spot on my forehead where I constantly bang it against my desk.

So here's what K and I do to unwind: a midweek shopping and soup date


Chicken Noodle Soup at P.F. Chang's

Our waitress looked like Joan of Arc.
(Side Note: I love this soup so much that I've almost perfected its replication, but still can not capture the original in all its sodium-filled glory. Tangy, spicy, salty with mushrooms, tomatoes, and pin rice noodles that are completely impossible to find anywhere. It really is delightful. and I can eat it for 3 meals because they bring you a literal vat of it)

Or  revive an old favorite with a new, protein packed twist
Chicken Kebabs with Tzatziki

Or we make a Fake Hofbrauhaus meal on a lovely Sunday afternoon

Chicken Brats, Yogurt Smashed Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli, Double Chocolate Stout
(We've been planning this for months, as a way to avoid Hofbrauhaus' atrociously expensive and calorically outlandish fare, as well as the general patronage of Hofbrauhaus. Success.)


Or we just get some coffee, thoroughly confuse a very well-intentioned barista with our homanticism, sit outside, and make very awkward punny conversation with a lonely Jewish man in Squirrel Hill while surveying the spoils of our wildly successful CD Exchange excursion:
Sound of Music (VHS), Mary Poppins (VHS), Bottle Rocket, Seasons 1 and 2 of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and TLC's CrazySexyCool
(Once upon a time, I really enjoyed the show How I Met Your Mother, and bought the first four seasons. After a recent viewing of HIMYM, I realized that I'd really rather have money and more shelf space than continue to own 4 seasons of a show that I can't stand anymore. So I packed them up and brought them to the CD exchange where I got almost $40 in store credit. Hence the haul you see above. A classic 90s album! A Wes Anderson movie! Cartoon food! Julie Andrews in not one but TWO horrible wigs! Who wants to come over and watch some of these gems with me? Eh? EEEEEEEEEHHHH???)

It's easy for me to allow myself to get overwhelmed. Instead of doing that, I think I'd rather focus on moving towards these moments of deliciousness.
K says that the secret to happiness is being happy. 
So Here I am. Being Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment